Checklist for Safe Winter Driving
- Friday, December 28, 2018
The blog this week is tips to ensure that you safely navigate yourselves and your Volvo or Toyota through the winter months. Winter in the UK can give
us tricky driving conditions – rain, sleet, snow, ice and fog. Along with low winter sun that can often dazzle us. Read below to find out our tips
on ensuring that you are as prepared as you possibly can be in our changing weather throughout winter:
- Ensure that you are up to date on your servicing and maintenance of your Volvo or Toyota. Carry out your regular checks as described in previous blogs
– Tyres, fluid levels and lights etc.
- You will probably find that not only will you have to de ice your Volvo or Toyota in the mornings you may also have to do it when you leave work before
you start your journey home. Ensure that you have some de icer and an ice scraper in the car at all times – and no not a CD case – you could end
up scratching the windscreen causing you to have to spend money getting it replaced! Try and keep a bottle of screen wash in the boot – you will
find yourself cleaning your windows very regularly during the winter because of the salt on the roads.
- Check your tyres regularly – if your last MOT said you were coming up to replacement time did you get
them done? Some people ask if they need winter tyres fitting – this is probably more about personal preference as an decent all weather tyre should
be sufficient. Well maintained properly inflated tyres is what you really should aim for!
- It’s probably a very good idea to keep a coat and blanket in the boot just in case you break down. If you break down on the motorway you are always
advised to wait away from your car and the roadside so it could get very cold whilst you are waiting for assistance. If possible keep a high vis
jacket or armbands in the car also to help you be seen in the dark.
- Keep some bottles of water and some snacks in the car. If you break down and are stranded for any length of time these will come in handy. Keep things
like crisps, nuts, chocolate and possibly a sugary drink just in-case you or a passenger is diabetic. Last year there were hundreds of motorists
stranded on motorways when there were sudden heavy snow falls causing chaos. The water will also come in handy if you run out of water in your
washer bottle – it doesn’t take long for your windscreen to become covered in spray from those in front of you!
- Keep your petrol/diesel topped up – you never know when you may find yourself stuck in heavy traffic.
- Make sure that you have a phone charger in your Volvo or Toyota, your sat nav is to hand to avoid traffic jams and you have an atlas just in case the
- You may also want to consider carrying a first aid kit, a warning triangle, a torch and some jump leads – all very handy items that you can keep in
your boot – let’s hope that you never have the need to use them!
Here at ACC UK Ltd, Winners of The Motor Trader Independent Garage of The Year 2015, The Inspire
Customer Service Excellence 2016 Award, The Eagle Radio Customer Focus 2017 Business Award and The Workshop Magazine Workshop Manager of the Year 2017
Award, we pride ourselves on offering an outstanding customer experience for a fraction of the cost of a dealership. Give us a call and let us quote
you for your next service or repair on your Volvo or Toyota. We service all areas around Farnborough, Fleet, Aldershot, Farnham, Guildford, Frimley,
Camberley, Hook, Sandhurst, Crowthorne, Yateley, Hampshire and Surrey. We offer free collection and drop off services. We also have a fleet of courtesy
cars to allow you to get on with your schedule whilst your Volvo or Toyota is with us. Happy Motoring from all at ACC UK Ltd – Independent Volvo &
Toyota servicing, repair and MOT specialists based in the heart of Farnborough, Hampshire.