Top Tips For Driving In Snow & Ice
The blog this week is about some top winter tips when driving your car during snow and icy conditions. Did you know that stopping distances are ten times longer in these type of adverse weather conditions? Read below to see our top tips:
- Firstly ensure that you have cleared all the snow from your Volvo or Toyota and that you can see properly through all of the windows! Please do not start your journey with limited visibility you are asking for trouble.
- Make sure you have the appropriate footwear that is dry to avoid your feet from slipping off the pedals. Wellies are probably not the right type of footwear!
- Do you have a warm coat in your Volvo or Toyota in the unfortunate event that you breakdown and have to exit the vehicle to wait for help.
- Ask yourself if the journey is absolutely necessary. If it is then ensure that you have planned extra time to make that journey – less haste! Pull away in second gear slowly – this will avoid wheel spin. Minor roads are less likely to have had any gritting done on them so try and stick to major roads for your journey.
- If you have to drive uphill then please ensure that you are clear of other vehicles ahead of you so you don’t have to stop part way up.
- If you are driving downhill keep your Volvo or Toyota in a low gear and use the brake pedal minimally. In other words do not ride your brakes down the hill.
- If you are caught in a snow storm then use your headlights on dipped beam. If visibility is less than 100 meters then use your fog lights – but remember to switch them off when not required.
- When driving in snow, you should accelerate gently, using low revs. If your car has a ‘winter mode’ then enable it, as this will help reduce wheel slip – check your owners’ manual.
- It may be worth carrying a couple of bits of old carpet in your boot – if you get stuck you could use it infront of the tyres for extra grip. But please do not leave them on the road once you get moving again!
- It may also be worth carrying a snow shovel in your Volvo or Toyota boot if you plan on driving on rural roads this winter to help dig yourself out, along with a hi vis jacket. Its better to plan and prepare than to wing it and hope for the best! Happy Motoring Folks!
Happy Motoring Folks!
Here at ACC UK Ltd, Winners of The Motor Trader Independent Garage of The Year 2015 and 2019, The Inspire Customer Service Excellence 2016 Award, The Eagle Radio Customer Focus 2017 Business Award, The Workshop Magazine Workshop Manager of the Year 2017 Award, The LiveWire Excellence In Vehicle Servicing 2019 Award and The Aftermarket Excellence Award for Best Website 2019, we pride ourselves on offering an outstanding customer experience for a fraction of the cost of a dealership. Give us a call and let us quote you for your next service or repair on your Volvo or Toyota. We service all areas around Farnborough, Fleet, Aldershot, Farnham, Guildford, Frimley, Camberley, Hook, Sandhurst, Crowthorne, Yateley, Hampshire and Surrey. We offer free collection and drop off services. We also have a fleet of courtesy cars to allow you to get on with your schedule whilst your Volvo or Toyota is with us. Happy Motoring from all at ACC UK Ltd – Independent Volvo & Toyota servicing, repair and MOT specialists based in the heart of Farnborough, Hampshire.